Our Green Commitment
Trade Winds Dental has a proud tradition of practicing dentistry in a safe, environmentally sound manner. We maintain the highest standards in terms of quality, health and safety and environmental protection. We strive to offer sustainable and eco-friendly treatment methods and solutions to our patients.
Trade Winds Dental is one of less than ten dental practices in Texas who are members of the Eco-Dentistry Association (EDA). The EDA is an organization of dental professionals dedicated to the practice of green dentistry. On June 12, 2014, Trade Winds Dental was recognized by the Eco-Dentistry Association (EDA) for their green commitment. Trade Winds Dental is the first office in Georgetown and Williamson County and one of only four dental offices in Texas to achieve GreenDOC™ Gold certification. Trade Winds Dental is one of the first 100 dental practices in the world to achieve this honor.
Trade Winds Dental Green Commitment Initiatives:
- We reduce the use of paper products by keeping electronic patient charts.
- We take digital X-rays, which reduce radiation exposure to patients and eliminate harsh processing chemicals and materials associated with conventional, film-based X-rays.
- We use supplies that can be sterilized and re-used instead of disposables that are simply thrown away and added to landfills whenever possible.
- We use an amalgam separator, a device which keeps silver fillings containing mercury (removed from patient’s mouths) from entering the community water supply.
- We steam sterilize our instruments.
- Uniforms, towels, sterilization covers, etc. are washed in-office using eco-friendly products in our energy saver appliances. This eliminates not only the impact of transport, but also, reduces the use of harsh chemicals used in commercial laundries.
- We use energy-saver appliances where possible.
- We recycle cardboard, office paper, plastic, aluminum cans, and bottles.
- When we at Trade Winds Dental moved into our current location in 2011, we used a service that provided plastic, reusable boxes for moving instead of using traditional, cardboard boxes. We chose to refurbish an already-existing dental office, greatly reducing the environmental impact at that time associated with new office construction. We retained and refurbished existing flooring, window treatments, phone systems, and light fixtures to reduce waste as much as possible. Low VOC paints and stains were used, improving air quality significantly. Furthermore, the old dental and office equipment that were replaced with more innovative technology, were either entered into a recycling program or re-used in areas that do not have access to more modern dental equipment.
- You will dry your hands on reusable, soft, cloth hand towels in our restrooms instead of using disposable paper towels.
- We offer BPA-Free toothbrushes that are made from recycled plastic and are recyclable. No animal testing was done on them and less coal, energy, oil, greenhouse gases, and water were used to manufacture them.
- Write with our attractive, green, eco-friendly pens made of recycled cardboard and bio-degradable plastic. Take some home with you.
- Carry our environmentally-conscious shopping bags made of 100% post-consumer and post-industrial fibers home with you. They are reusable and compostable when you’re done with them.
- Lip balms used to soften your lips are made with organic ingredients, are vegan, and have no petroleum.
- Native, drought-tolerant plants that require less water make up our outdoor landscape.
- Live, indoor plants are a major component of our interior design, improving air quality and providing you with a clean, soothing environment.
- A recycling container is available for you in our reception room for your convenience.