Believe it or not, your dentist in Georgetown sees a lot of chipped teeth — on patients of all ages. While your tooth enamel is the hardest substance on your body, there are still so many reasons why chips, cracks, and breaks can happen. There’s nothing about your mouth that is indestructible. Chipped or cracked teeth can make you feel a lot of pain, especially if you bite down on a piece of ice. What can you do to fix your chipped tooth? Let’s explore your possible options.
What You Can Do For a Chipped Tooth
If you chip a tooth or teeth, the first thing you should do is to call your Georgetown dentist right away. It’s essential to know how to manage your damaged tooth and prevent any further pain or issues. Here are some self-care tips and tricks you can use at home before you can come and see us:
1) Blunt the pain by taking acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or another over-the-counter pain reliever.
2) Rinse your mouth with salt water to reduce the risk of infection.
3) If the damage has caused a jagged or sharp edge, cover it with a piece of sugarless chewing gum or wax paraffin to protect your tongue and cheek.
4) If you must eat, select softer foods and do not bite down on the damaged tooth.
It’s important to keep your tooth clean and protected from any additional damage until you come to get it fixed up at our dental office in Georgetown.
Ways We Can Fix Your Chipped Tooth
What treatment we recommend to fix your chipped tooth will generally depend on your individual needs and how severely your tooth is chipped. If only a tiny amount of your enamel is missing, it will most likely take about one office visit to fix it. Here are some possible options for restoring your tooth that we might recommend:
– Filling and Bonding – If you have a front tooth that’s been chipped, we recommend using a tooth-colored enamel resin that’s generally referred to as composite bonding.
– Porcelain Veneers – Cosmetic dentistry also has a solution for your chipped or broken teeth: porcelain veneers. They can transform your smile and your confidence.
– Dental Crowns – A dental crown could work for you if you have heavily damaged teeth. We can customize a crown for you that blends in with your natural teeth, so no one will ever even know you’ve had dental work done.
If you’re struggling with your teeth, then you need to schedule an appointment at Trade Winds Dental and talk to your Georgetown dentist about solutions that can work for you. We have consultations available and look forward to seeing you at the office. Call us today at (512) 572-3653.